The Little Fish

Friday, June 30, 2006

Those were the days...

I miss school. I totally do. When I was actually at school I never ever thought I'd say that, but now that I've left, I miss it heaps. Not so much the routine, but the people there. Cos tonight I was waiting for this retarded computer to scan an email Dad sent me and while I was waiting for it (cos it was taking a lifetime) I was just looking around my highschool's website, which I haven't looked at in ages. And I could see that all my old faves are still there. Sounds lame but I so miss my teachers. They were all such legends, especially in year 12, where we really became close.

Like Miss Nolan - only the best dance teacher ever. She let us do whatever we wanted in dance and for Choreography Night, because she knew if she did, Choreography Night would be so much better, lol. And what other teacher lets you ring her up at home at 9 o'clock in the evening to ask if you can cut up a school dance costume to make it into a better costume...and says yes!

And Plimmer...who I discovered isn't at Warwick anymore :( But he was the bestest. I have the best memories of us bagging him out in year 10 for not owning a TV, and him trying to get us to listen when we were studying the Aboriginals. Ahhh good times.

I miss Mr Green too, and Miss Re and Tan the Man. They were all great, cos they always knew I was a pretty good student, but sometimes I was a lazy arse and didn't study for a test or wrote a shitty essay, but they never failed me, because they always knew I would pull myself back up next time. They always gave me more chances.

Risking sounding incredibly soppy here, Ched was the one who had the most faith in me, particularly in year 12. He knew I sucked at Human Biology, but for some reason never blew his stack at me. He was even calmer than my other teachers mentioned above (I hope that 'calmer' comment doesn't make me sound like this hyperactive student who always did shit, cos I wasn't). I'll never forget when I failed yet another test in Human Biology in year 12 and Ched called me to his desk to tell me. I prepared myself for the humiliation, and how awful I already felt for letting him down somewhat. But he didn't say anything. He just gave me back my test and gave me a wink. "Just keep trying Larissa. You're a trier. I know you can do it." Nothing else could have lifted me higher that day. I was crap at Human Biology and everyone knew it, but Mr Chedid was willing to accept that, unlike most teachers would in that position.

I really must get in contact with Ched again. I hate that we've been out of contact for so long now. At the bbq he hosted for our class at his house (yep, that's right) at the end of year 12, we all wrote down our emails on a sheet of paper for him and he had a slip of paper to give to each of us that had his email on it, so that we could all keep in touch and he could keep track of what we all got up to when we graduated. We promised to do email updates regularly. It was one of many things we talked about that afternoon sitting around on Ched's back verandah eating his food, playing with his kids and joking with his wife. It was the best afternoon. But I haven't recieved even one email update. I haven't written one either, so I am to blame as well I guess. It's such a shame. Letting friendships go is one of my parents worst traits, and something I have always hated with a passion about them as people, and I always promised myself - I have said it to myself so many times throughout my life - that I would never, ever be like that - that I would never just let a friendship dissolve, because you always look back on it in years to come and miss that friendship so much.

I think I still have Ched's email around somewhere...tomorrow I am going to go and find it and write him an email. It'll be good to see what he's doing. Since he's still at Warwick, looks like he didn't get that transfer to Perth Mod after all, like he planned on doing. Good to see some things never change.

1 Comments:

  • Have you heard about the plans for Perth Mod? It's going to be what the school used to be... Only letting in the top academic kids from around the state... The new intake of kids for Year 8 have all sat tests to be accepted! And the music and ballet programs are getting a boost apparently also.. Oh and they're building a boarding house, but for next year they've got a temp. one out like City Beach way... How crazy is that!! Any teacher who goes there now will be darn lucky!

    By Blogger MissPia, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home