The Little Fish

Saturday, November 05, 2005

The trials and tribulations of working in a cafe

Man we truly get some freaks as customers. I must do a Rosanna here and spell out some classic conversations I've had the last few weeks at work. They make me roll my eyes...sorry if they don't anyone whose reading this...but who cares, this is my blog ;)

Like today for example...
Courtney: Your meal was $10.45 sir
Man: Why? It was just a turkish bread
Courtney: But you had a whole piece of fish in it. The fish alone is $6
Man: I didn't have a whole piece of fish
Cherie (cook): Yes you did sir
Man: So you charge me $10.45 for that?
Cherie: You had it in turkish bread, with salad and chips on the side. It's a very reasonable price
Man: Where's the manager? I want him to be here when I pay
Courtney: I'm sorry he's not here right now
Man: But this price is outrageous!

At this point all of us working in the cafe just wanted to go off at him and say a whole string of obscene words that included our defence that we didn't make up the prices and that he did have fish in turkish bread (like who the hell does that? What a way to ruin turkish bread) which is not just any old bread, and that we didn't really care if he disliked the price and that he was never coming back cos we couldn't care less about customers like him. We seriously don't care if you never come back. It means we don't have to deal with your loserness again. Suits us just fine :D

Conversation 2...
Random ugly blonde woman: Are you still open?
Me: Ahhh no I'm sorry we're closed (the time is 5:10pm, and we close at 5pm)

Now a relatively short convo yes (had it been any longer I would have most certainly strangled her) but I just want to point out here how thick some people in this world are! Like ok, it's quarter past five, the shopping centre is emptying out, we've turned the bloody lights off, the floor is wet from its recent end of the day mopping, the coffee machine is off, the coffee grinder is off, the cakes are wrapped, the fridges are locked, there is no food in the bain marie, the tables are all vacant and have been bought in from outside, we have bags of rubbish about to be taken out to the bin in the middle of the serving floor...gee does it look like we're still gonna make you your flat white?! Oh yeah sure...we'll turn everything back on and work an extra half an hour and open all over again just so you can have a take away coffee. yeah, just for you. Like hello! Use your common sense! Unfortunately this seems to happen every Saturday afternoon (oh and every Thursday night too). There is always some unbelievably stupid person who thinks we stay open after closing time.

Conversation 3...(wow I'm really coming up with these well now, they are all flooding back)
Woman: Do you have any hotdogs?
Me: We do, but the kitchen is closed now, I'm sorry.
Woman: Oh (she looks like her life has ended just because we can't make her a hotdog)
Me: We stop serving meals at a quarter to four. We're still doing chips and wedges though and coffee and cake.
Woman: Oh...no we want a hotdog
Me: (I'm being kind spirited here and trying to help her out) Well if you go across to the icecream place over there, they sell hotdogs I think (even though I imagine they're the sort of ones Tony Martin mentions in the Late Show which is not a good thing)
Woman: Can we eat it in here? I want to get a coffee too
Me: Ahhh actually...let me just ask. Robert, if she buys a hotdog at the icecream place can she eat it in here? She's going to have a coffee too.
Robert: She can sit on the outside, that's all
Me to the woman: You can eat it here, no worries, as long as you sit on one of the outside tables
Woman rolls her eyes rudely at me: But I'm going to have a coffee from here (I nod and she rolls her eyes again) OK I'll have a flat white, a small chips and a blueberry muffin. We'll be back in five minutes
Me: Sure (I write down her order and give it to Robert)
25 minutes later she and her daughter return (and their food has been sitting in the bain marie in a vain attempt to keep it warm). Thankfully they sit on the outside tables. But like seriously, does she not have any common sense about business. Like there's a reason you can't eat Hungry Jacks in a McDonald's restaurant. It doesn't look good for McDonald's does it? And also gives the impression you can do and eat what you like in McDonald's restuarants. And McDonalds isn't the only place that doesn't want to look like that. Hence the reason you cannot buy a hotdog at Creamy Island and eat it in our cafe. We prefer you eat our food, not Creamy Islands' (I guess it's a competitive world out there ;)) And darn it, if you're gonna sit in our chairs and strew sugar all over our tables then you better be eating our food, not someone elses. These seats don't come cheap you know ;)

OK, one final convo just to annoy Mum because I'm still on the computer so late...

Me: One turkey foccacia?
Customer: Yes, that's mine (I place it down in front of her)
Customer: You know, I really do not appreciate having my coffee so soon before my meal. It's almost gone cold
Me: Oh I'm sorry. We can bring you your coffee with your meal or after your meal, you just need to let us know when you place your order.
Customer: Well I didn't think to
Me: *well whose fault is that?* I apologise,...if you let us know next time we can bring you your coffee when your meal comes out. You just need to let us know *and with that I walk away not willing to hear anything more of what she has to say.*
I mean it's like if you order steak and then you get it and you say 'oh I really felt like chicken'. It's like why the fark would you order steak then? It's nobodies fault but your own.

Anyways, listen to me, man am I bitching tonight Apologies to anyone whose reading this for a bit of light hearted positivity. So on with the rest of the bulletin ;)
Uni is still crazy although I officially finished on Friday (yay no more classes! :D). I got back my second lit essay and surprise surprise 12 out of 30 again *sniff* I was annoyed, although I was expecting it. Travis wrote this huge comment on it about how I hadn't really analysed and stuff and wanted to organise a meeting with me. So I spoke to him after the tute and straight away was like 'I'm not a lit sort of person ok? I can't write like this. I don't understand this stuff. Give me a film to review or a feature article to write and I'm in heaven, but I'm not with lit. There's just too much journalist in me' haha. Still had a huge talk with him though and ended up missing numerous buses to get me home. Also scheduled a meeting for Thursday morning to discuss me redoing the essay. (I have to say I am grateful he's given me another chance). So anyways I dreaded this meeting alll Tuesday night, Wednesday and Wednesday night and I only really went because I wanted to drop into JBHiFi on the way to uni on Thursday so I could get the BH season 1 dvd (and what a fine dvd it is isn't it JackieRosannaElleCatAllmyotherBHbuddies?). Anyways, so turns out I have to completely redo the essay. No just vamping up the old one, I actually have to write a whole new 1500 word essay. He did give me the option to not do it at all, but his blind faith in me sort of made me want to redo it. He must've said about 4 times how much he didn't want me to fail the unit, especially since I've been at every single lecture and tute bar 1. He said he understood if I couldn't be bothered (cos apparently people do that all the time??) but I told him it would be nice to pass the unit (although god help me for the exam. I don't think I can pass that!) So yeah, I'm redoing the essay. He even wrote me out an essay plan! I actually think it will help me...it's pretty comprehensive. But I had to rent out Mulan and watch that tonight cos I have to use that in the essay (cos Mulan was a dickhead and dressed up as a man to fight a war and Portia also dressed up as a man to prove herself in the Merchant of Venice, which is what my essay is supposed to be about) Anyways, thankgod Mulan was a short movie. And I wrote down some quotes. What a good student I am. I haven't begun writing it yet though...or doing the other research he suggested :P Oh well...tomorrow!
But yeah, redoing this essay is a total pain in the arse (even though I know I should be grateful I have been given a second chance). It's due Friday the 11th, the exam is Tuesday the 15th and so yeah...not a lot of time!Although I desperately want to finish it before the exam so that I can walk out of the exam room on Nov 15th at 9pm and scream out my freedom speech knowing I don't still have a lit essay still to do.
Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we launched our anthology on Friday but I have not shown anyone outside of the clas cos I hate my submission, it is a truly shitty piece of work by me, I could've done so much better but I left it til the last minute of course and just threw togetehr some old story I had stored in my computer to submit. This of course means its just about the shittest piece of writing I've ever done. It's a shame too, as this is the first time I've ever been published. But then again, reading some of the other people's submissions...woah, mine is sort of good compared to theirs (not to sound snobby or anything).
I have more to say but it's 1:51am and I should be in bed (Dad and I are going to make the Christmas pudding tomorrow :) The fruit is soaking in the brandy as I type :) and I also have dancing tomorrow arvo - convention repositioning). It's been a big day for me - I was up just like on uni days (oh the torture) cos I promised TO that I'd help her out with her rehearsal today and it went from 9-12. Same next week, and then on the night of Friday the 18th. Anyways so I went there and then straight to work for 1pm. Bigger Saturday than I usually have. Will discuss the rehearsal in more detail next time ;)

Au revoir!
Me

Support the Cancer Council Western Australia www.cancerwa.asn.au
Listening to: A Moment Like This - Kelly Clarkson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home