The Little Fish

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Rosanna moment

Yesterday I had a Rosanna moment. This means nothing to you all I realise, and probably not even to Rosanna, until I explain. And even then probably only Rosanna will 'get' it (if I'm lucky).

I remember sometime last year when I read my good friend Rosanna's blog one day and she announced that she had woken up that morning and decided she was going to Europe. If I have my details correct (you never can be sure with this brain of mine), she woke up, decided she wanted to go to Europe, and booked her flight that day. I was awestruck. But so full of admiration.

This happened to me yesterday. I decided I'm going to do a big trip in 2009. And it will most certainly include Manhattan, NYC, because that is the place I have wanted to see most for as long as I can remember.

I didn't book my ticket that day like she did, but I've bought my Lonely Planet doorstopper on New York City, and I've joined the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forum and peppered the members there with endless questions. Should I do a tour? Should I go it alone? Should I explore other parts of America...or dare I say it see some of Europe (I know you will say a loud 'yes yes yes!' to that Rosy)? But most of all, how much should I have saved up for a trip such as this? How much do I need to slave away for the next two years at my jobs? How many magazines should I stop buying? Does it mean I have to give up my beloved Boostjuice? I answered many of those latter questions myself and have already pledged to stop buying magazines and make Boosts only a treat. But seriously, anyone who has ever travelled overseas, please talk to me. Offer me some advice. I am hungry for it. I am a novice. I know nothing, and I want to know everything.

I became so so excited last night when I got replies to the thread I began on that forum, and then later when I sat at my desk, got out my calculator and roughly calculated how much I will be able to save over the next two years if life doesn't throw me too many curve balls between now and then which cost a lot of money. I at first thought two years would be plenty of time to save (and I'm assuming most of you will too), then I thought, hey maybe not, and then I got out my calculator and was pleasantly surprised with the amount that showed up. Maybe I actually can do this.

I'm so excited. This is the most I've ever put into this. I've always just had dreams. I've never actually taken them further. But today I went out and I actually bought a Lonely Planet book and I have spent all afternoon and night reading it. Tomorrow after uni I'm going to go to the travelagent and have a chat. I know I need to do a lot more research, and speak to a lot more people, but it really feels like I'm going to actually do this. That come 2009 I will be travelling overseas.

Almost everyone who reads this blog knows me, and knows my email, so if you have anything could you email me? Or leave a comment here or whatever. Just extend your travelled hands to this enthusiastic novice. Thanks a bunch.








Mostly though...I just want to know how much money I will need to save :) But anything else would be helpful also.



Oh and another thing...what do you think of...Contiki?

11 Comments:

  • Ah, Riss! I am so excited! So excited! I WANT TO GO TO NYC.

    A few tips.

    Contiki? Don't do it. Everyone just drinks and has a mass orgy on contiki - there's no real cultural experience behind it, and you spend the whole time on a small bus touring countries in a whirld wind amount of time. By the end of the trip, the bus is dirty and smelly and horrid. Living in a bus and touring by a bus? It would suck.

    As for whether you should do Europe... YES. YES YOU SHOULD. My original thought is that you should do a few weeks? months? in Europe and then fly home via America and maybe see only NYC and Vegas, or something. Depending on where your interests lie.

    The only tip I have re: saving money is even though 2009 is a fair way away, you have to be disciplined. All the time. The first time I went overseas, I really struggled to save - I found it challenging to forfeit my social life (I only have 7 months to save) and I struggled every idea with the thought of being poor.

    But I appreciate all my hard work so much more in Europe.

    Now, saving the second time is easy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 AM  

  • Also, your memory does serve you correctly. I did just wake up and decide to go.

    Other tips? Go in August/September - the best weather in Europe, and not peak time.

    How long do you want to go for? Pack nice clothes - there is nothing worse than feeling like a dirty tourist.

    And lastly, enjoy all the preparations. It's the best fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:46 AM  

  • If you're traveling alone, it might not be the best idea, but I would recommend taking a look at http://couchsurfing.com/
    It's a great community, and a great concept.
    Our shared appartment (chech out our profile - "Gi_&_Ki" )has hosted a couple of surfers, and it has been wonderful experiences. So - definately worth exploring:) And it makes the trip so much cheaper! :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 AM  

  • :) i've been a bit slack and haven't read you for a while.

    Contiki - not if you're going alone and not if you don't want an extended pub crawl. My friend went on one in Europe and her group were full of dickheads and the "other group" had hot nice guys. Luck of the draw. Their mattress got set on fire by the dickheads btw.
    Mm....

    By Blogger MissPia, at 10:51 PM  

  • Oh and.. yes I am really stoked that you've decided to travel! Yay! :)

    By Blogger MissPia, at 10:51 PM  

  • hahaha Riss that is so Rosy. I laughed so hard at that.

    I'm a bit of a travel novice myself. I want to do the states as well. But at this point, it is just a dream, and nowhere near a reality...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

  • Riss, where are you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:53 PM  

  • Contiki NO WAY! Check out Top Deck if you are going to Europe. I did 28 days camping around Europe and bloody loved it. Contiki had irresponsible drivers (partied as hard as the tour members and were hitting the autobahns 3 hours later) and in general they are a target to the petty criminal activity that you have to expect in Europe. A Contiki group had their tents raided in the Rome campsite right next to where we were all camped and they didn't bother with ours because they associate Contiki with America and wealth!

    I personally would not suggest going it alone anywhere in the world unless you are jumping on a group tour regularly. What is the point of seeing amazing stuff solo? I joined by Top Deck tour solo and was assigned a French Canadian girl as my tent partner for the duration. She was fabulous and it was great to enjoy the sites and the bars with other people. Travelling solo can be VERY lonely.

    Haven't been to the US. Might be better there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:24 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:32 PM  

  • it wont let me comment!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:47 PM  

  • Oops, Sorry. it's me, Elicia! Stupid blogger won't let me sign in or comment on your latest entry... here's comment to your last post;

    She truly is the most gorgeous baby. The whole family is gorgeous. <3

    I hope your boss stops being an ass soon!

    xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home