The Little Fish

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

When I grow up...

It's Boxing Day. I'm eating some chocolate (one of many chocolate related presents I recieved). It's hot. I've just read Rosy's blog about Christmas, and it's prompted me to write what I was going to write last night but decided against at the last minute.

Wait, let me unwrap a lovely little chocolate first. Ooooo there're chupa chups in this little gift bag too. I love my Mum's best friend...she's such a doll. Ok mmmm minitaire mars bar. Now I can get started. I wrote this in my journal late last night, again whilst trying to keep cool and letting all my Christmas lunch go down. It probably will sound pretty gay because it's all dreams and hopes and things that will probably never happen. But hey that's what these things are for right? You can laugh, I won't care. At least you'll understand Rosy! I was just all frustrated at the state of Christmas with the family. And so this diary entry was born...

Christmas Day '06

When I'm older and don't live at home anymore and then when I have a family of my own, Christmas is going to be sooooo different. It's going to be good. Enjoyable. Fun. Never ending. It's going to be something to look forward to rather than something to dread.

Because with my family right now Christmas is always celebrated with my Nanna and my Aunty and occasionally my Grandad. And it's because we have to. It's never really fun. Like sure, it's Christmas and I love that (everyone knows what a Christmas nut I am) but I wish I could spend it with people I really really enjoy being with. People like my best friends.

So, when I have a family of my own, Christmas is going to be celebrated with best friends and all their kids, the house is going to be packed -- and not just on Christmas Day, but also Christmas Eve and the whole week surrounding the big day. The house will be full of food and laughter. There will be lots of space and everyone will walk around in their bathers and thongs and be all sun tanned and glowing from spending already days in the sunshine by the pool. We'll barbecue everyday and every night, eat seafood and sit outside at dusk and the mosquitoes will bite our ankles.

The kids will chase each other and swim all day long. At night we'll play Christmas carols, even after Christmas Day is over and they'll be all my old Aussie favourites like Paul Kelly and Farnsey and Jimmy Barnes. And we'll drink as we chat together, laughing and enjoying each others company while the kids all fall asleep in front of the telly or on the loungeroom floor playing the new boardgames Santa bought them. A mess of Cheezels wil be all over the floor around them.

The house will be double storied (or more if I'm lucky! hehe) with lots of balcomies with french doors open to let the house be airy and summer smelling. Big decks of pine by the pool and by the back door. Every bedroom will be full with mattresses on the floor for all our extra guests. The house will just be bursting at the seams - but the more the merrier I say.

Everyone will roam free during the day and it will be all relaxed and free and fun and there'll be no tension between anybody and it'll be nothing like what I've grown up with. Maybe we won't even have family around at Christmas. Just friends. Friends that will have become like family for all the great times we spend together, but not take on that annoyingness you can't escape about blood relatives. This of course means that I'll probably have to take up residence at my beachside place at Noosa or anywhere stylish and gorgeous in Sydney...rather than here in Perth. But whatever.

On New Years Eve we'll hop onto my boat on the harbour early in the morning and drink and talk and sunbake and laugh all day long and then toast each other at midnight as the fireworks explode over our heads and fall like rain off the Harbour Bridge.

Paradise. One day I'll have all of this. I will I will I will. You just wait.




Wanna join me Rosy? :)

2 Comments:

  • Oh Riss I absolutely agree with EVERYTHING you wrote!

    And I would love to join you :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:25 PM  

  • Riss, where are you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home